Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Shopping for Comics Part 2

So in my last post I talked about how to find and shop for comics on your own, without all those "best comics ever" lists. I discussed shopping by franchise and finding comics based on which company publishes them, but like books, sometimes the best way to find something that you like is to find a comic created by whoever wrote/drew the last comic you fell in love with. I was going to write long descriptions about the following comic writers and artists, but I then I realized the best way to understand a writer or an artist is to look at their art, so below are quotes from some of my favorite writers and images from some of my favorite artists. These are just a small sampling of the quality of work that's out there and I encourage you to go out and find some favorite comic creators of your own. 


Writers:

Alan Moore

"Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof."

-V For Vendetta

Neil Gaiman 

"You get what anybody gets - you get a lifetime." 

-Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes

Bill Willingham

"Once upon a time, in a fictional land called New York City..."

-Fables: Legends in Exile.

Matthew Sturges

"We're not afraid of the unknown. We're afraid of the unknown becoming known."

- House of Mystery: Love Stories for Dead People

Mike Carey

"When a book is read an irrevocable thing happens — a murder, followed by an imposture. The story in the mind murders the story on the page, and takes its place." 

-The Unwritten: Inside Man

Garth Ennis

"I'm the one who steps from the shadows, all trenchcoat and cigarette and arrogance, ready to deal with the madness."

-Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

Jeph Loeb

"Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not" 

- Batman: Hush

Brian Azzarello

"That's what he is I guess; a disease that infected Gotham City...of which there is no cure."

-Joker

Brian K. Vaughan

"I used to love to go out, but I'm growing uncomfortably...comfortable in this dungeon. Some days I can't even get past the front door. I'm the escape artist who can't escape his apartment."

-Y: The Last Man: Unmanned

Matt Wagner

"Every piece is but a fragment of the whole. Every breeze a step unto the storm."

-Madame Xanadu: Disenchanted

Peter Milligan

"I would oscillate into madness. I would be a ship without an anchor,  drifting away from the shore."

-The Extremist. 

Brian Wood

"Hey, you ever get this weird feeling that you're different somehow?

-DEMO, Vol. 1

Artists:

Dave McKean 
(Death: The High Cost of Living, Absolute Edition)



Amy Reeder Hadley
(Madame Xanadu)



Tim Sale
(Heroes)


Eduardo Risso
(100 Bullets)



Mark Buckingham
(Fables)

Brian Bolland
(The Killing Joke)




Charles Vess
(Stardust)



Becky Cloonan
(Demo, Vol. 2)



Jill Thompson
(Paintings of Delirium and Desire, created by Neil Gaiman)



Writer/Artist

Jeff Smith
(Bone)


Jhonen Vasquez
(Johnny the Homicidal Maniac)


(Squee)


Roman Dirge
(Lenore)


(Painting)


Frank Miller
(Batman)


(Sin City)


Will Eisner
(The Spirit)

No comments:

Post a Comment